Clifton, Bosque County, Texas - 1870-1920

In 1852-53, Clifton was founded when the families of Samuel Locker, Monroe Locker, Frank Kell, and T. A. McSpadden settled in the area. Thirty-five miles northwest of Waco in southern Bosque County, the town was originally named Cliff Town after the limestone cliffs that surrounded the area. Cliff Town became Clifton over time.

Clifton, Bosque County, Texas

Two of the first public buildings constructed were a log schoolhouse and the Masonic Hall. A post office was established in 1859. The First Presbyterian Church was organized in 1861. A water mill was a great draw for the early settlers who came to Bosque County. Built by J. Stinnett soon after 1865 on the Bosque River, "The Old Mill" supplied flour to the nearby town of Waco. Upgraded from the original log structure in 1868, the new stone building served the county as a mill until 1905. It was converted into an electric power plant for Clifton for several more years. The Rock School was built in 1870 and served the community until 1893, when a new building was constructed.

The Santa Fe Depot

1880 saw a new train depot built by the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway a mile south of Clifton. Businesses began to move closer to the station and the town grew. The Baptists built the first church building in Clifton in 1884-85. The Merchant Exchange and Flour Mill was established in 1887 - the first steam flour mill in the Bosque valley. The Clifton Record started its' presses in 1895. Between 1890 and 1892 the town served as Quay County's seat. Clifton Lutheran College opened its doors in 1896. The town became incorporated in 1901. A large fire destroyed much of the town right on 23 December 1906, which prompted the creation of the Clifton Volunteer Fire Department in 1907.

More information about Bosque County may be found at this link.

View Sources

Texas c.1895

Bosque County, c.1895